Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Story

After being in "early" labor for nearly a week I went in for my induction Feb 5th 2011 at 10am. I got settled into a tub room and had a terrific nurse named Michelle. Doctor Oravitz got there around 10:45am. He checked me I was at 2 cm -3 station and 50% effaced. Which was where I was on Wednesday but with the amount of contractions I had at home between Wednesday and Saturday I was shocked no change was made. But we all agreed... break my water and see what happens. He broke my water and nothing really came out. He attached an internal monitor onto baby's head so that I could be hooked to telemetry so that I would be free to move around.

My contractions were about 4-8 minutes apart at this point. After everything was set up and I was free to move around we went for a walk. Then I got into the tub and did some nipple stimulation.. that REALLY got my contractions going. Then we sat on the ball... and got on hands and knees.. and walked some more... my contractions got down to 2-4 minutes apart and getting stronger. The internal monitor fell off so my nurse put a new one and checked me... 4-5cm 80% effaced and the head came down she said.... we walked some more.. then I asked to get back in the tub. While in the tub Dr. Oravitz came back in and rechecked me. He said I was 3-4 cm and 50% effaced and -3/-2 station... so some change but not alot. We opted to go another 2 hours before anything else was done. So we continued walking, and ball sitting, and squatting and swaying and everything else in the book for labor doing. My contractions sometimes were less than 1 minute apart. Getting harder and harder too. So 7:30pm comes around Dr.Oravitz comes in and checks me again. It was shift change so Michelle was no longer my nurse it was Teresa... who oddly enough knew Jim from the pizzeria his parents used to own. He said I'm still at 3-4 but 70% effaced now... so a little change... we decide to wait another 2 hours before we do anything. So we continue our rotation of multiple position changes and tub time. At this point I am crying out during contractions they are getting really tough... so they check me again... no change. Dr. Oravitz comes in at around 10pm and gives me the talk.

I knew it was over

I had labored for 12 hours...
and barely got to 4 cm
I did EVERYTHING! There was nothing else I could do.
Why wasn't I dilating?
I KNEW he wasn't too big.. even though that is what the nurse thought. And doctor was concerned with too. But I knew different.
The ONLY thing I can think of as to WHY... I didn't dilate is hormones. Fat produces estrogen... and being I have a lot of fat.. maybe the hormones that are required to allow you to dilate just weren't working. But I don't know that...
So around 10:35pm I arrive in the operating room for my c section. I am devastated and crying... and then I have to get a spinal and it was horrible hurt sooooo bad.
They got the drape up and Jim was allowed in. He was in a weird way... even his voice sounded funny. Doctor says I have a lot of scar tissue so it was hard to get baby out. Being he had pooped and had a good amount of meconium NICU was called in for delivery. After a lot of tugging and pulling he was out... but not doing the best. He had problems breathing and his temperature was elevated.

We eventually made it to recovery and got to do skin to skin and breastfeed...

we got home before He is even 48 hours old. I am very sore but happy to be home. I can't wait till Adam gets to meet him tomorrow!

Meet Jonathan Carter Ewers!

1 comment:

Sarah-Irene said...

Congratulations! I am sooo sorry you didn't get your VBAC. I hope your recovery goes well. He's a cutie :)