My Father in heaven smiles on me each and every single day. I can see His love in Adam's smile and in Jim's embrace. It can rain or snow or be a gorgeous sunny day and I can still see God smiling upon me. One practical way I have felt God's presence in my life is in the mounds of blessings that I have. There is one in particular that I want to write about today.
As many of you know my family has never been "well off" but we pay our bills and have a place to live. It's not fancy but it's ours. Before Christmas this past year I made a post on freecycle asking for things for Adam, toys, clothes... hand me downs. And the Lord answered my desire over and over and over again. If you came over to my house you will find a good many baby toys still in the house.. and I have put about 50% of them away in the garage b/c Adam has out grown them or I have grown tired of hearing them. And we have bought only a few of them ourselves. Some have come as gifts but a vast majority have come as hand me downs.
I could praise God daily for the benefits of hand me downs. Not only is it GREAT for our environment and our pocket book. I feel that it helps us connect with others. I know when a friend who gave us clothes for Adam sees him wearing them they seem to enjoy seeing them and it reminds them of when their little boy wore that outfit. We have been blessed in raising our first child. We truly have spent very very little on him. I breastfed, so that was free. We got a plethora of diapers at our shower and once those ran out we started cloth diapering, and then I bought those used as well so that saved us boat loads of money. I can honestly say that we have spent MAYBE $100 on clothes for Adam his WHOLE life! and he's 14 months old. We actually had to get a second dresser for Adam just to house all his clothes! (well him and Dylan share a dresser but still!) I think I probably have enough clothes that Adam could have been a twins!
I feel that I have mastered the art of saving a penny. And in my quest to save as much money as possible, we have been blessed! Through the generosity of others giving us clothes their children no longer fit into it has renewed my faith in Christ. (This and some other things ... that's another blog!)
So the point I'd like to make at the end of this is just be kind to one another. It does come back to you. If you show kindness others will show it upon you. I know all to often I seem to be receiving gifts, but someday, and not too far away, I know that I will be able to give at lot more than I do now. With that being said..... Does anyone need size 12 month boys summer clothes? I have a couple of bags full! 

This photo is about HALF (the rest is in the dryer) of the hand me downs we got of nice warm size 18 month stuff! The 18 month summer stuff is why we had to get a second dresser! It's nice things we were given too! I still can't believe how blessed we are! Thank you Lord!
3 comments:
Wonderful post. It's easy to get wrapped up in what we don't have instead of what we do have. This is a great reminder that we should be thankful for everything. :-)
That is so awesome! It's great to know people are still generous twards others!
Krystal, Doug and I are constantly amazed and impressed at the many ways you find to stretch a dollar. I believe that God has absolutely seen your diligence in trying to care for Adam and Jim in the best way possible within your financial means, and he is truly blessing your efforts!
Post a Comment