Thursday, October 11, 2012

Friends

I have never been very good at keeping friends.

I always seem to have friends that will be close for awhile, but then we drift.

Not sure why I can't seem to keep friends for long periods.

I am sure that there is something I am missing. I blame it on the constant moving as a kid, I learned really quickly how to make friends, but being I never had to stay very long I have no idea how to keep them.

Take my friend Crystal.
Crystal left her husband, I helped set her up with a place to live, helped her find stuff for this new place to live. She moved in right accross the road so it was very convient. I even made her dinner most nights she worked. Well, then things with her husband got better and we spent less time together but it was still ok. She was there with me for my whole pregnancy with Jonathan. We took college classes together (that's where we met)
For quite some time Crystal and I were very close.
But then my husband left, and I had to move. And our friendship isn't as it was.
Is it because we moved away from one another so we don't have that easy to see each other like it was? Or is it because I just don't know how to keep a friend? Now Crystal and I are still friends but I am no longer the person she calls when she needs to talk. I am no longer the person she calls to do things with when she has free time. We still talk often but it's very different now.
I wonder .. is it because our friendship was started because she needed someone, I was that someone but now that she doesn't "need" me... I don't know how to be a friend to her? I do tend to gravitate to people that are in "need".

I have no idea. But like I said Crystal and I are still friends, and I still talk to her about things that happen in my life. Maybe once we are both done with school and are career girls in the medical field that we will once again be those close friends we once were.

No comments: